Medical training GTA

Anything and everything Firehall.com related. Submit your comments here...
Pyrotech

Medical training GTA

Postby Pyrotech » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:17 am

Hello, my name is Scott, I am just at the beginning of my journey to become a firefighter. My question is regarding medical courses. I have my standard first aid and am planning on taking the emergency first responder course, which is a 40 hour course. After that I can take the emergency medical responder which is an 80 hour course. What level of training are ff's normally trained to? Is taking the emr course overkill, or is there no such thing as overkill?

Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

INFERNO21

Postby INFERNO21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:28 pm

"Pyrotech" wrote:Hello, my name is Scott, I am just at the beginning of my journey to become a firefighter. My question is regarding medical courses. I have my standard first aid and am planning on taking the emergency first responder course, which is a 40 hour course. After that I can take the emergency medical responder which is an 80 hour course. What level of training are ff's normally trained to? Is taking the emr course overkill, or is there no such thing as overkill?

Thanks

No such thing as over kill.... but FESTI medical courses can be very costly...take a look around at some Red Cross providers, you may get a better deal.
On the other hand, look into volunteering with st. john ambulance with a medical responder division...this way you get some volunteering,community involvement..and free training and certification to the level you are wanting.

Just my 6 cents.

cmollison

Postby cmollison » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 pm

"Pyrotech" wrote:Hello, my name is Scott, I am just at the beginning of my journey to become a firefighter. My question is regarding medical courses. I have my standard first aid and am planning on taking the emergency first responder course, which is a 40 hour course. After that I can take the emergency medical responder which is an 80 hour course. What level of training are ff's normally trained to? Is taking the emr course overkill, or is there no such thing as overkill?

Thanks

It really depends on where you plan to get hired. The EFR or EMR courses are great but not required or recogonized in Ontario for example. Your money could be more wisely on getting a DZ or province equivelant.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise.