91 Grumman Aerial Cat 102' Tower

General firefighting discussion.
mike2427

91 Grumman Aerial Cat 102' Tower

Postby mike2427 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am

Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am

I have since retired but we once had an 85 for a number of years. If I remember correctly we used to apply the outriggers until the bulge was out of the tires making sure all of the outrigger lights were on on the control panel. The outriggers would come off the ground if you went off the side at a very low angle. If you are working at a low angle you should go off the rear if at all possible. Midland still has this particular truck in service I believe, you could get in touch with them as they are more current with it. I believe Grumman was taken over by KME.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

xyz1

Postby xyz1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am

Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. http://www.kingsvillefire.ca

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 am

Here's a picture of it in action a number of years ago, wheels on the ground, bulge out of the tires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm

"mike2427" wrote:Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals

Where did you acquire it?
How the hell did I end up here?????

uzbek

Postby uzbek » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

"xyz1" wrote:Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. http://www.kingsvillefire.ca

Guelph has a 1990 as well.

PFD023

Postby PFD023 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:33 am

"mike2427" wrote:Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals

Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?

irsqyu

Postby irsqyu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:33 am

"PFD023" wrote:Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?

Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized" :D
Last edited by irsqyu on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just because I can

wardd16

Postby wardd16 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

"irsqyu" wrote:Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized" :D

We do have a training manual for it and as of today it is out of service as the drive shaft fell out of it today as we were bringing it over to have it saftied ironically enough :)
Send me a pm and I will get you some contact info