Our city council is a joke

Union and union related discussion.
SJFF

Our city council is a joke

Postby SJFF » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Get this, after almost 20 months of negoitations our local finally had a tentative agreement with the city (except wages, which are going to arbitration). So our Chief takes it to council last night and guess what?. It doesn't pass. the vote was 5-5 with one councillor missing. He's back next week, but he hates us so we're pretty sure it will get defeated. What a joke. Why do they even bother sending someone to negotiate with us if there not going to accept the deal that both sides worked so hard for.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Stay safe

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

"SJFF" wrote:Get this, after almost 20 months of negoitations our local finally had a tentative agreement with the city (except wages, which are going to arbitration). So our Chief takes it to council last night and guess what?. It doesn't pass. the vote was 5-5 with one councillor missing. He's back next week, but he hates us so we're pretty sure it will get defeated. What a joke. Why do they even bother sending someone to negotiate with us if there not going to accept the deal that both sides worked so hard for.

Stay safe

This shit is hard to deal with sometimes. It can be very frustrating to say the least when this sort of thing happens. The bonus is that if it ends up going to arbitration as well the arbitrator will look more favorably on the association.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

Profire

Postby Profire » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm

"SJFF" wrote:Get this, after almost 20 months of negoitations our local finally had a tentative agreement with the city (except wages, which are going to arbitration). So our Chief takes it to council last night and guess what?. It doesn't pass. the vote was 5-5 with one councillor missing. He's back next week, but he hates us so we're pretty sure it will get defeated. What a joke. Why do they even bother sending someone to negotiate with us if there not going to accept the deal that both sides worked so hard for.

Stay safe

I know it must be frustrating, but you must realize any agreement in negotiations must be ratified by both sides, if either side turns it down you are back to square one (I have to think that if Council is this displeased with the deal, heads may very well roll in HR)

Also you bother to send someone to negotiate because both sides are contractually obligated to do so
Professional Union Firefighter and proud of it![sigpic][/sigpic]

Cagatey01

sultan

Postby Cagatey01 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:05 am

To all of you working over the holidays, I hope you have a quiet shift, with lots of Christmas spirit, working with the right bunch of guys over Christmas can make all the difference, we gathered outside the Captain' bedroom last night at midnight and sang a Christmas carol (then we all ran away of course as he had been asleep since 10 PM)
Hybride DeViL