Union buy in fee

Union and union related discussion.
Billy4

Union buy in fee

Postby Billy4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 am

That number seems quite high.

Depending on the dept i guess but i think the number around the GTA is between $50 and $100.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

Billy4

Postby Billy4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am

Thank you. It seems like i'll be required to pay the 500 dollars and a union due of about 6% of my income. Wanted to know if this was at least ball park for some people. Thanks for your time.

coal_man

Postby coal_man » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:28 am

My local's initiation fee is in the area of $2500. $500 doesn't seems so bad.

Raker

Postby Raker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Never been a fan of initiation fees. It just seems to me that so many prospective firefighters already go through so much hardship just to get a shot at being hired, and adding initiation fees to a new hire making probationary wages, seems excessive. A quick money grab doesn't necessarily translate into a good start that develops loyalty either, IMO.
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:16 am

"Raker" wrote:Never been a fan of initiation fees. It just seems to me that so many prospective firefighters already go through so much hardship just to get a shot at being hired, and adding initiation fees to a new hire making probationary wages, seems excessive. A quick money grab doesn't necessarily translate into a good start that develops loyalty either, IMO.

Fair opinion, but that union you are 'buying' into has a long history of financial burdens to get to where it is. It comes with assets, and an expensive collective agreement. IMO it creates a sense of ownership, like a share holder. A lot of very hard work, and no doubt some legal battles have shaped the working enviroment a new fire fighter enters. It only seems fair to 'buy in' but I totally understand it is difficult with a probationary wage; but like anything, a little planning and it shouldn't be a hardship.

I've heard of initiation fees ranging from $150-1500. with most being around $500
"You can't be wrong for doing the right thing"

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

"Billy4" wrote:Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks

In our association you're paying for the time you were in training and were being represented even though many don;t realize it.
The wages, benefits, working conditions, ppe and many other things we all enjoy or keep us safe were the result of a lot of work by your association.

If you were injured or landed in trouble I am confident you would be represented. It's some the best money you can invest.
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

FF95

Postby FF95 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm

"Billy4" wrote:Hi guys. I was just wondering if it's still common practice to have a "buy in" of say 500 dollars for initially being hired in addition to your bi weekly union dues.

Thanks

We only pay the monthly dues when hired, there was no initial fee that was required.