AB future Firie hopeful needs a helping hand

General firefighting discussion.
HarryHolcroft

AB future Firie hopeful needs a helping hand

Postby HarryHolcroft » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Hey lads/ladies,

I just joined this forum as I'm starting the process to become a Firefighter out in Calgary sometime this year. I'm an Australian Ex-pat waiting for my permanent residency application to go through who will be moving with the missus from Toronto to Calgary around May.

I was wondering if anyone could help direct me in the best course of action to take to better my chances of being a successful applicant for the process. I'm a 31-year-old ex Infantry soldier with 3 deployments during my 10 years service, during that time I believe the lifestyle and courses that I took would make me a suitable match for any station out there. I don't mind if I have to start as a volunteer for a few years or go to school or do anything really if it means I'll obtain my goal.

I was currently looking at doing an EMR course here in Toronto as I have some time to kill, but from what I've seen here it's not recognized out in AB so it would be a waste of both time and money (I have an EMR cert 2 from my time in the military which I used often in Afghanistan, but it holds no weight here as it's from a different country unfortunately for me).

For anyone who has just gone through a similar process, or who knows what my best course of action would be, do you mind imparting that knowledge this way!? Should I apply to a firefighter college course out there? Should I do an EMR course when I settle in AB or both?

TheGuy

Re: AB future Firie hopeful needs a helping hand

Postby TheGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 pm

HarryHolcroft wrote:Hey lads/ladies,

I just joined this forum as I'm starting the process to become a Firefighter out in Calgary sometime this year. I'm an Australian Ex-pat waiting for my permanent residency application to go through who will be moving with the missus from Toronto to Calgary around May.

I was wondering if anyone could help direct me in the best course of action to take to better my chances of being a successful applicant for the process. I'm a 31-year-old ex Infantry soldier with 3 deployments during my 10 years service, during that time I believe the lifestyle and courses that I took would make me a suitable match for any station out there. I don't mind if I have to start as a volunteer for a few years or go to school or do anything really if it means I'll obtain my goal.

I was currently looking at doing an EMR course here in Toronto as I have some time to kill, but from what I've seen here it's not recognized out in AB so it would be a waste of both time and money (I have an EMR cert 2 from my time in the military which I used often in Afghanistan, but it holds no weight here as it's from a different country unfortunately for me).

For anyone who has just gone through a similar process, or who knows what my best course of action would be, do you mind imparting that knowledge this way!? Should I apply to a firefighter college course out there? Should I do an EMR course when I settle in AB or both?
Hey Harry,

I'm not sure how you feel about getting your firefighter 1001 1+2, which can be done through various ways, some being online (best for a person who has a ft job to support a family).

A lot of places in AB have many of the same requirements as in ON, so getting your EMR might be equivalent. I know that Calgary fire actually sees previous military service as one of those things that only makes your resume stronger.

They do also like EMR and any other courses. One thing I would suggest getting would be the class 1, 2, or 3 licence with air brake endorsement.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to shoot me a line!

- Guy

HarryHolcroft

Postby HarryHolcroft » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply bud.

I was tossing up about the truck with airbrake license but I'll definitely look into that one further. My current plan is to do the EMR course at SAIT, as it's my understanding that some 40% of calls are medical related and I really enjoyed my time and the exposure that I had within that field. Would it be wise to continue my studies and go for the EMT first before I apply to the service? I'm interested in joining a volunteer service first though, regardless of any pay or anything like that, so I can get more exposure and get me hands dirty before applying for a fulltime position. From the information that I've gathered so far, it looks like there are already plenty of accepted applicants just waiting for a position to open up (I'm under no illusion that being a firie is difficult to get into, as it's a highly sought after career).

The most serious dilemma that I worry about is that in 2010 I broke my back during my last deployment. I'm still fully capable and I know that I can pass any physical test thrown my way, but would this lessen my chances of being accepted?

TheGuy

Postby TheGuy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 pm

HarryHolcroft wrote:Thanks for the reply bud.

I was tossing up about the truck with airbrake license but I'll definitely look into that one further. My current plan is to do the EMR course at SAIT, as it's my understanding that some 40% of calls are medical related and I really enjoyed my time and the exposure that I had within that field. Would it be wise to continue my studies and go for the EMT first before I apply to the service? I'm interested in joining a volunteer service first though, regardless of any pay or anything like that, so I can get more exposure and get me hands dirty before applying for a fulltime position. From the information that I've gathered so far, it looks like there are already plenty of accepted applicants just waiting for a position to open up (I'm under no illusion that being a firie is difficult to get into, as it's a highly sought after career).

The most serious dilemma that I worry about is that in 2010 I broke my back during my last deployment. I'm still fully capable and I know that I can pass any physical test thrown my way, but would this lessen my chances of being accepted?

Thats actually a good question. I know some departments actually request any medical documentation, and from that, the x-rays and any other doctor notes, they make their own decision. I guess if you could get a medical note stating that it will not affect your abilities, it should be fine.

throughthelock

Postby throughthelock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm

sent you a pm

HarryHolcroft

Postby HarryHolcroft » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Are there any companies that are recommended to use for the class 1/2/3 driver's license?

Also with the NFPA 1001, I am considering doing it down in Texas (any chance to travel is worth taking). Would you guys recommend the TEEX or Training Division companies or should I do it in AB if possible?

OLDAFI

Postby OLDAFI » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:11 am

My experience at Lakeland College in Alberta was awesome. If you're already close, I would check them out before travelling to Texas...

HarryHolcroft

Postby HarryHolcroft » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

We'll be moving to Calgary so it's a bit of a mission to get there. Thanks for the info, it's something that I'm definitely going to look further into!