ALEXIS CREEK: B.C. Ambulance under fire

MMAINC

Postby MMAINC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote=""FireChef""]I notice how some of you are voicing your opinion about not having a raise for 8 years, granted thats a long time, but you are still making a decent wage. No where on god's green earth does it say that you are supposed to have a certain percentage wage over a certain amount of time. Yes it is true that the cost of living is going up, decent mean that your wage has to go up, you just have to manage your money better.

I am with Paraone on this one, once I am done my PCP next year, I know I will have to go somewhere small for awhile, like him, I will prepared to do it. Gone are the days of going to the local station, yaking with the U/C and getting hired.

There are medics all over the states (maybe even Canada), making a hell of a lot less then here in BC, and are still happy with the job.

I would do the job for minimum wage. There are actually some people out there, that are there for the job and not the money.

I have been in the cooking field for 12 years now, and I make $14.50/hr. I dont complain, I know there are cooks out there making a lot less in other places. With 12 years senority with BCAS I would be making mid $20/hr.

For those that dont think they are making enough money, you could always leave and go work in the patch up north, and make room for others that want to do the job to help people and not bitch about the wage[/quote]

I hope you fail the PCP program. It is your type of attitude that is keeping BCAS in the stone age. If you do in fact pass and work for BCAS go present that attitude to the crew members that were just on strike and see how far it gets you. My blood is boiling with your ignorant comments!

You state you will have to go some where small for a while...Not a while fella a long time. Then when you do get full time you will be shuffled from station to station, call outs and irregularly scheduled.

You sound like the type of person who is expecting to race from call to call and be dealing with trauma blood guts and horror all the time. You may have watched Bringing Out The Dead to many times! Just wait until your first Pt sh&*s on you or vomits all over you or assaults you then see how much your $2.00 an hour pay looks!

Some people in the profession have families and loved ones that they have to be away from for weeks and months to go work in a small community. This isn't possible for some so should they quit bitching because there situation is different from yours?

If you are trained to respond to emergencies you should be compensated accordingly. It is not the volume of calls or the size of the community it should be based on training and level of service!
Last edited by MMAINC on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireEMTGuy

Postby FireEMTGuy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 pm

[quote=""MMAINC""]I hope you fail to PCP program. It is your type of attitude that is keeping BCAS in the stone age. If you do in fact pass and work for BCAS go present that attitude to the crew members that were just on strike and see how far it gets you. My blood is boiling with your ignorant comments!

You state you will have to go some where small for a while...Not a while fella a long time. Then when you do get full time you will be shuffled from station to station, call outs and irregularly scheduled.

You sound like the type of person who is expecting to race from call to call and be dealing with trauma blood guts and horror all the time. You may have watched Bringing Out The Dead to many times! Just wait until your first Pt sh&*s on you or vomits all over you or assaults you then see how much your $2.00 an hour pay looks!

Some people in the profession have families and loved ones that they have to be away from for weeks and months to go work in a small community. This isn't possible for some so should they quit bitching because there situation is different from yours?

If you are trained to respond to emergencies you should be compensated accordingly. It is not the volume of calls or the size of the community it should be bases on training and level of service![/quote]

As you can see below, he does work for BCAS. I have never known an employee who would defend low wages... Or even if he thinks they are decient wages, to stand by while the rest of his union fights for increased pay.

[quote=""FireChef""]Welcome to the site !! I work with BCAS in McNeill. A friend of mine is a LT with you guys, he is also on this site.[/quote]

Looks like he does work for BCAS... unfortunately he doesn't seem like one to support your union's brothers and sisters in their fight to obtain better wages. I am having a hard time figuring out why he is defending the low wages..... kind of reminds me of this guy....

http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18504
Last edited by FireEMTGuy on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCmedic

Postby JCmedic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Welcome to the world of capitalism. While companies making billions dollars in profit, our government can't afford to pay the paramedics decent wage. Really? We have great ppl in BCAS. Yet, being a good guy doesn't help you out. Try to talk the banker and say 'hey, I am a nice person and work as a paramedic with a $2/hr. Would you mind not to take my house that I still haven't paid off the mortgage?' If you say find another career, sure we can all do it and more ambulance stations will get shut down. Think again before you make that statement. Perhaps, you are rich enough to afford calling a private ambulance but not everyone has such resources. What goes around comes around. I am hoping you (for those who think $2/hr is not a problem) will suffer as much pain as possible before the ambulance arrives (if there is one). Amen.
Last edited by JCmedic on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.